Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Interview with Sze’s Custom-Made Customer

Sze’s very regular customer who buys her handmade pieces persuaded Sze to design some personalised accessories for her wedding. Her request was simple. To match her Tiffany blue theme for her garden wedding in Melbourne’s Morning Star Estate (Mount Elyza, Mornington Peninsula) sometime in November 2009. Here are some questions we coerced out of her in the midst of her busy preparations. Below pieces are specially made for Jerrica's Wedding.
.

Above: Bracelet RM203/USD58

Above: Swarovski Crystal Earrings RM147/ USD 42

Above: Filigree Earrings RM84/ USD24

1. Why did you as a bride-to-be decide to custom make your accessories instead of buying them of the rack?
Because I am fussy and it is hard to find something unusual that I really like. If I were to purchase them, it would cost more than customising it as I would have to pay a steep market rate for the type of findings that I get from Sze Accessories. It would have easily cost a bomb at a 4 figure pricing. It has been very convenient to know of a designer who hand makes to your taste. I really like the team effort put in by both parties (designer and customer) in including our individual ideas. I get to create a piece that suits my taste but at the same time tap on Sze’s experience in recommending a suitable style according to my theme and colour.
.
2. Why did you choose Sze Accessories as your choice of accessories instead of other international brands out there?
I have been an avid follower or Sze Accessories and I have seen her casual wear designs on her website and find them to be very stylish and fashion forward. I like what she has done so far and that has built my trust in her eye for designs. Also, it has been hard trying to find a design of earrings that come in the Tiffany colour. Tiffany had their own Turquoise stones but they were not what I was looking for and thus I chose Sze in the end to make something according to what I would have preferred.

3. Did you decide on your own- colour and design?
Yes, I got to choose the colour of the pieces specifically to match my wedding theme. Initially, I wanted bright colours like orange because I am a person who is passionately love vibrant colours. But my fiancé thought I would prefer something sweeter and more pastel like baby blue or lilac. So to come to a compromise, we chose the Tiffany box’s turquoise which passes of as both a pastel as well as a vibrant colour. The colour is sentimental because my engagement ring came in a Tiffany box and turquoise is also my birthstone (December).

4. How was the experience of working together with Sze Accessories to create your ideal piece of earring?
It’s been exciting and great! I must that it has been very smooth as we are both open to each other’s ideas. It has helped that I know specifically what I want. It would be difficult for someone who is fickle minded as too many changes will most certainly spoil the design altogether. I would recommend such customers, to follow the designer’s suggestions. But it helps to voice out and let Sze know which parts of the piece I would like to alter to suit my appearance as sometimes a piece can be very nicely designed but only the wearer knows best what she would feel comfortable in.

5. Were the final pieces up to your expectations?
Yes! I allowed Sze free reign over what to come up with therefore I did not have overly high expectations towards the design of the final piece. I was very interested to tap into her ideas and was looking forward to see what she had created. Only thereafter, I could make my comments for changes to suit my personal taste, comfort level and style.

6. How do you think the masterpieces will go together with your dress and overall theme?
It will be perfect! I can’t imagine a more matching pair of accessories. It was meticulously well done to the dot. I love how the Swarovski Crystallized Crystals, beads and stones blend in perfect harmony together. Sze even sourced the Swarovski Crystallized Crystals all the way from Hong Kong for me. I absolutely love the very modern cut of the stones with ragged edges. They are gorgeous!

7. What do you think of the pricing for the pieces that you ordered? Were they reasonable?
Firstly, I would like to make clear that they were not cheap. Custom making comes with a fair price as they are handcrafted with a lot of attention to detail. There is also a price to pay for the designer’s time. However, you will feel a sense of ownership towards the piece that has been created for you because it is created from the ideas you have been thinking of. It will also be a very special piece as no one will have the same design. Saying that, I paid only RM390 for a charm bracelet, Swarovski Crystallized earring and a filigree earring. Pretty reasonable!

8. How did you find the quality of the finishing and the findings?
It was well done with very neat findings. If you have unlimited budget, the findings and the finishing can be as fine and expensive as sterling silver. This would have cost at least 5 times more than what I paid for making the total come up to close to four figures which would have totally burst my budget set out for the accessories.

9. Will you use SzeAccessories.Com for any other customization services aside from you wedding?
Of course! I’m already getting her to make some earrings for my bridesmaids and gifts for my friends. And I will use Sze for future events like dinners and parties. The most important aspect is to be able to work with the designer and because I get a long well with Sze, I will continue to use Sze Accessories. After all, she is able to cater to my whims and fancies and that is very important.

10. Who would you recommend this custom make jewellery service to?
People who have a strong sense of individuality and want to own a one-of piece designed just for them. People who will look high and low just for that one perfect piece and not just shop, as the masses, do by picking something they see in a window. Someone who is confident and has an individualistic style.

Lastly, just a word of advice for people intending to custom make, sometimes the first impression of the piece might not match your idea a 100% but given some acceptance, you might find that the piece suits you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment