Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Designer Date by MSN.Com

Finally got to meet up with MSN's Editor-In-Chieft, Cheryl Ow (ex-Female, Lifestyle Editor) who is back from her two year stint in Hong Kong. Lydia Kwan, Lifestyle and Fashion Writer for MSN was there as well to articulate the interview. It was a great catchup session with Cheryl whom I haven't seen for a long time. And I prepared for before hand with a little bit of my own research, so I was looking forward to sharing my insights.

Innitially, when they requested for an interview to predict the season's jewelry fashion, I was a bit sceptical about myself. It was unusual but I suppose it was expected as I AM suppose to know my stuff. (If you get what I mean?) I suppose, they think I should know it all about jewelry, with me knowing how to make them to begin with. But truthfully, I might like designing jewelry but I doubt I'm that "great" a crystal ball gazer. Nonetheless, I tried my best at "guessing" what's in at the moment and gave it my best shot (with some research to back me up, but of course). You be the judge of the interview by having a read of it below.

Above: The MSN article with pictures from the Martell Rising Personality Awards, Gala Dinner night.

Above: The rest of the article with a profile pic of me.

The jewellery designer talks about Spring/Summer trends, Malaysian women’s accessorising mistakes and how to embellish a simple outfit.THE SPRING/SUMMER 2010 TREND

In terms of design, multi-chained necklaces are slowly picking up. The Bangkok stocks that are being sold at flea markets tend to have these layered chains, but in smaller versions. I also found that a lot of designers are still doing dangly earrings from my research. The styles are different - matured and funky, heavy at the top or heavy at the bottom - but it's still all about slinky long earrings.

As for details, studs are so in. People think it's very punk-rock but I find it's more modernised now. It's not as sharp and edgy as it used to be; it's more subtle today. Clasps are also being replaced by ribbons as it's more feminine and the length is easier to adjust.

Colours are also bright and contrasting such as turquoise and orange. I find that people like mixing turquoise with orange or purple. I also notice a lot of earthly elements such as wings, feathers, birds, and roses. They're very symbolic.

THE MALAYSIAN FASHION SCENE

The Malaysian market
Since a majority of us are Malays, a lot of them wear rings and bangles because their heads are covered with a "tudung" or head scarf.

Mistakes of Malaysian women who accessorise
They don't match properly, and some go for very cheap, plastic items. It's hard to find people who wear expensive jewellery in Malaysia.

How people with limited funds can look classy with accessories
Buy one piece that is in line with current trends and recycle it for parties or for a day out. Also, if you put aside a certain budget for accessories and prioritise it and it could be the other way around. You can buy plain clothes and spend more money on accessories. Accessories can really change the whole look on an outfit.

"I'd rather spend money on clothes than accessories"
It's slowly changing. I suppose stores like Diva and Vincci Accessories are making people accessorise more. From there, I suppose they'll eventually migrate upwards. It's a starting point.

HOW TO DRESS

Don't over accessorise
Go for statement pieces. People nowadays want one-off pieces so they don't have to wear too much.

Multi-purpose accessories
I don't think there's a certain jewellery piece that can be used throughout the day. Accessories really need to match your attire.

A statement piece for corporate woman
Necklaces; they're nice and loud but they don't get in the way.

A statement piece for a party chick
Bib necklaces. They're big, loud and different. You can also be really artsy with it.

Matching white tank top and jeans
Finish the look with a long mesh bib-like necklace with a ribbon tie back. In terms of trends, it's all in one and not too loud.

Advice for plain Jane's who don't accessorise
Go for classic pieces. Choose plain silver classic items that you can keep for the next season and that will not go out of style. One or two fashionable statement pieces is enough.

Get your hands on Sze Yoong's accessories here:
www.szeaccessories.com